On occasion, I like to write one of these “if we were having coffee” posts. The idea is to share what’s going on in my life the way I would share over a cup of coffee with a friend. Given our current self-quarantine situation, it feels like the perfect time to have a cup of coffee with you.
If we were having coffee, I’d tell you…
- I’ve had several coffee dates via Zoom over the last week and a half. Sometimes they have been wine and cheese dates, but it’s been so good to video chat with friends and family via Zoom, FaceTime, Google, whatever. I live alone – thank goodness for Knox – and these video chats have kept me sane.
- I don’t like this. I don’t like being quarantined at all. I’m a social person and keep a full schedule. I’m trying my best to re-frame this time as a way for me to practice being still and patient, but I operate on plans and schedules more than most. It’s not the easiest thing for me to not have an end date circled on my calendar, but I’m trying. We all are. We’re all doing our best.
- Odds of me qualifying for the American Open Series 2 (a national weightlifting meet in June) were always lofty, given how much I had to add to my total to qualify in a relatively short time period, but now that my gym has closed, odds are next to impossible. I rented some equipment from my gym and plan to try to keep training at a baseline for the next several weeks, but space and set up isn’t entirely in my favor. There are other AOs, but this was the one I wanted. Still, I’m not throwing in the towel yet.
- So far, I’ve been extremely productive during this at home time. I’ve worked on a lot of the “behind the scenes” components of Strong By Sarah, written a ton of content for all of my outlets, and even started a Tumblr. I don’t actually know how to Tumblr, but I have one. Follow me/help me?
- I was supposed to fly out to Los Angeles on April 7th. Obviously, that’s not happening right now. I still plan to make a trip out there soon, but when is another one of those “who actually knows?” things.
- I binged Tiger King on Netflix earlier this week. It’s the worst television I’ve ever seen. I couldn’t look away.
- I also binged Self Made. That? That is some incredible television. It’s just four episodes and if you don’t finish it determined to build an empire, I can’t help you.
- Quarantine has led me to seriously consider publishing an original work on Wattpad. I’ve never done that, but I have a three part series (as in, three books, yes), that I wrote a while ago that I really love. I think I’d love to share it. I’ve always thought about having it published, but I feel inspired to push “publish.” If I do, I’ll let you know.
- An unexpected pleasantry of self-quarantine? I’ve really enjoyed cooking in “real time.” I tend to cook my food for the next day the night before – most of which has already been meal prepped on Sunday night – and I’ve found I like getting to cook my food when I want it and eat it hot off the stove and on a plate to boot.
- Speaking of food, I’m very much sticking to my macros and while my training has changed, my dedication to getting at least 4 workouts a week has not. I have this thought of coming out of this at my goal “walking around weight” which will put me squarely in the weight class below where I’ve been competing. Only 2kg (about 5lbs) to go, so why stop now?
- I’m enjoying meetings with my co-workers. I openly dislike meetings, particularly inefficient ones. I’m 100% that person who thinks most meetings could be emails and I don’t need to sit in a room to talk about whatever we just talked about when I could have been doing it. But in this whole quarantine environment, I find myself looking forward to those moments when I get to SEE my co-workers. Quarantine really is changing me.
I could go on and on, given that my blog is now, more than ever, an outlet to connect with people, but I’ll stop there.
Tell me – what’s something you’d like to share over coffee? How are you doing in self-quarantine/social distancing?