Baking is my love language.
I’ve said that countless times, but it’s true. I love to bake, and I love to take those baked goods to people. I went to a Girl Scout and Beer party a couple of months ago and showed up with a plate of homemade cookies.
I am who I am.
Over the years, I’ve built up an arsenal of recipes I know I can bake and take anywhere to rave reviews. There are a few cake recipes and a couple of pies, but lots of cookies. Cookies are my specialty.
At its heart, a cookie recipe is pretty basic – cream, butter, sugar, the usual suspects. It’s the added “stuff” – chocolate chips, walnuts, peanut butter, oatmeal, whatever you’d like – that really makes a cookie great. My all-time favorite cookie is a peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. I’ve tweaked and changed recipes time and time again, working towards just the right blend of ingredients.
And finally, I’ve nailed it.
These Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies have made the rounds in my office twice in the last couple of weeks. Once to see if everyone else thought they were as good as I did and once to make sure I could make the recipe twice with the same results.
Obviously, I nailed it.
The key to success?
Dark brown sugar.
I was inspired by Always and Forever, Lara Jean, the third book in the To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before series. A subplot of the book is Lara Jean trying to perfect her chocolate chip cookie recipe. She has an epiphany about dark brown sugar and ultimately, the cookies turn out perfect. I’ve always baked with light brown sugar, but why not give the dark stuff a try? It was the key to moisture, and with gluten-free baking, I’ve found moisture can sometimes be a problem in the final product.
Without further ado – the perfect Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie recipe.
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips (dairy free if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oats and baking soda.
- In a larger mixing bowl or stand mixer, whisk together peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs until smooth.
- Add in dry ingredients and combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop or roll into 2-inch dough balls by hand and place two inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 9-11 minutes; Remove from oven and let cool. Cookies may not look quite cooked all the way, but they will cook another minute or two once removed from the oven.
And… Since I have you…
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies and a free workout download. If that’s not balance for ya…
Let me know if you try those cookies – or these workouts!