Moving To Chapel Hill
From Sarah | Life

Chapel Hill: Day One

Moving To Chapel Hill

I’m officially a Chapel Hill resident.


I have to do the whole change my registration and driver’s license to North Carolina thing in the next 30 days, but I have a Chapel Hill address, so the idea is the same.

I moved on Saturday with the help of my mom, stepdad, brother, sister, and cousin. My uncle Jeff also graciously showed up at my Charlottesville apartment Saturday morning (with donuts and coffee!) to help load the truck. We were in Chapel Hill before 4:00, and by 5:30, I was all by my lonesome in my new apartment (well, with Knox – packaged deal, me and the pup).

Since I had to move sight unseen, the property manager FaceTimed me a couple of weeks ago to show me the place. I had some anxiety about what I was actually moving into, even with the video tour, but it turned out better than expected. There are beautiful hardwood floors, faux granite countertops, brand new stainless steel appliances, and a fireplace. My apartment in Charlottesville was rather basic and dated, so I feel rather fancy in my new place. I’m still decorating, but I’ll do an apartment tour soon!

Once my family was back on the road to Virginia, I headed out in search of Target. I needed the basics – toilet paper, trash can, trash bags, something for breakfast the next morning… It turns out I’m seven minutes from a Super Target AND a Chick-Fil-A, so I’ll take that as a great omen for things to come. I picked up Chick-Fil-A for dinner – including a kids’ order of nuggets for Knox because he was pretty out of sorts by that point – and spent the rest of the evening unpacking. I had my living room and kitchen almost entirely out of boxes by the time I went to bed. 

I slept on the couch for the first night because I bought a new memory foam mattress from Amazon that came in a box and needed some time to, as my dad put it, regain its memory. We had quite the thunderstorm and Knox doesn’t particularly like them, so he spent his first night in his new home barking at every.single.clap.of.thunder. which I’m sure the neighbors loved.   

Side note – the mattress might be the most comfortable thing I’ve ever slept on.

For the first Sunday in FOREVER, I slept in. The cable and internet guy was scheduled to come between 10 and 11, and to my surprise, he was 20 minutes early. When has that ever happened? While I like to think I do okay without internet, I’ll confess, I missed having noise in the background while I worked. Without cable, I couldn’t use the TV, and without Internet, I couldn’t really stream Netflix either. I ended up turning on my phone’s hotspot and streaming Friends. Nothing like the Central Perk gang to make you feel at home, no matter where you are.

The rest of Sunday was spent unpacking. There was another trip to Target, as well as a grocery shopping excursion. It turns out, you need a LOT of groceries when you first move into a place. I got in a quick workout at the apartment gym, then did my meal prep for the week in an effort to keep some sort of routine. I went to bed early in anticipation of my first day of work.

I think I’m going to really like my job. Everyone has been so welcoming and readily available for questions. The onboarding process might be the most organized one I’ve ever had, and the office campus is just beautiful. The office is business casual, which is a big change from my WorldStrides wardrobe of jeans and sometimes, whatever I wore to barre at lunch, so I’ve already ordered several items from J.Crew to start to expand that part of my wardrobe. Truth? It’s been kind of fun to dress up!

Of course, I had to find a gym right away. I LOVED The Gym in Charlottesville, so I had to remind myself that whatever I found would be different and to keep an open mind. I spent a lot of time researching gyms before I moved, and had a few conversations with the folks at CrossFit Local. I went in after work on Monday, did an intake workout, and ultimately joined the box. They were so welcoming and knowledgeable, and there are a lot of open gym hours for me to still get my lifting in.

Who knows? Maybe I’ll even compete in the Open next year! (Let’s not get crazy…).

Knox had a rough start, between the thunderstorm and the sheer shock of moving. He was a little out of sorts and even more clingy than usual. He seems to be settling in finally, but I’ve been giving him extra love and attention (and a few extra treats!) to help him adjust. 

And so, that’s Chapel Hill, day one.

I don’t know if it’s really hit me yet that I’ve basically uprooted my life and in a lot of ways, started over. I cried pretty hard Friday night, once I hugged all of my friends goodbye after my going away party and was in the safety of my car, and I’ve probably talked to my parents more in the last few days than I have in the last month combined. Even though I’m excited about my new gym, I miss my gym family. I REALLY miss my barre tribe.

But, I’m here. I’ve made a conscious decision to be brave and take risks. I’ve said it before, but change is inevitable. We can run from it, or we can embrace it. Running never works out (and I just don’t like to run as it is), so embracing it is the only option, even on the hard days, which I’m sure there will be plenty of.

My goal for this week is to merely figure “it” out. Get to my office without using my GPS, go to a couple of CrossFit classes, try to meet a neighbor or two. This weekend, I’m going to do at least one “Chapel Hill” thing – my coworkers have provided me with lots of suggestions, but I’m taking any and all you’ve got, should you know the area – and check out a church.

I live in Chapel Hill now.

Here’s to day one – and many more to come.

Similar Posts

One Comment

  1. Sounds like the move went pretty smoothly. I hate moving. It is just so exhausting. And I can’t believe you moved into an apartment you hadn’t seen in person. I couldn’t handle that. Hopefully you get all unpacked and settled soon!


Comments are closed.