Journaling is a core part of my self-care practice. I journal most days. I’m not strict about the “when” of it. I let my mood and intuition guide me as to when I need to crack open my pages. Sometimes it’s first thing in the morning. Once in a while, it’s in the middle of the day. Lately, it’s been late at night, right before bedtime.
When I journal, I get all the things out. Whatever is causing me stress, costing me sleep, hanging over me like a dark cloud – it all goes in my journal. I pose questions to God, I work through hard things. There are tear-stained pages, pages of triumph. I save all my journals and reading back through them is always an eye-opening experience, a reminder of how far I’ve come, how life has changed over the years.
Sometimes, I need a little guidance around what to write. I sit down and open my journal and I just don’t know where to start. In those moments, I turn to journal prompts to get my pen moving. Sometimes, I stick with the prompts. Other times, a prompt or two will get my words flowing and whatever was held back unlocks to pour out onto paper.
If you need a little inspiration when it comes to journaling, I’m sharing some of my favorite journal prompts below. Pick one. Pick a few. Pick all of them. Whatever feels right.
20 Journal Prompts to get your pen moving:
- What am I grateful for?
- How do I feel right now?
- What am I proud of today?
- What could I have done better today?
- Am I happy with how my day went?
- Who do I want to be?
- What is the next right thing to reach my goal?
- What brings me genuine joy?
- Where am I struggling?
- What makes me feel alive?
- Have I been showing myself love?
- How can I take better care of myself?
- What am I afraid of?
- How can I celebrate myself today?
- What am I worried about?
- Are my worries realistic?
- What is keeping me up at night?
- What does it mean to thrive?
- What were my highs and lows today?
- Where do I feel the most like me?
There you have it – 20 of my favorite journal prompts. 20 journal prompts to unlock your pen and begin to sort things out on paper.
What am I grateful for?
That one opens my eyes every time to what’s right in front of me. ❤️
Do you journal? What’s your favorite journal prompt?